Stornoway Golf Club in the Western Isles of Scotland was founded in 1890 on the present day site of Stornoway Airport. It was re-sited to its current location within the grounds of the Lews Castle in 1947 with the aid of compensation received from the Air Ministry who had requisitioned the original course in 1939.
The 18 hole golf course on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles is well designed and professionally maintained with panoramic views of Stornoway Harbour and the Minch. At only 5252 yards it may appear short by modern standards but there are plenty of hazards for wayward shots including mature trees, heather and gorse.
The course record of 62 is held by two Stornoway Golf Club members:
The club hosts the Western Isles Open Amateur Championships for Men, Ladies and Juniors, which are held as part of the Lewis Golf Week every July. We have always enjoyed a reputation for being a friendly and sociable club, and visitors are always assured of a warm welcome.
The clubhouse incorporates a golf shop that will provide visitors with a good selection of golfing merchandise, as well as club and trolley hire.
Practice nets, short-game practice area, putting green, locker rooms, and a licensed bar with light snacks are all open to visitors.
The main lounge bar area is available to hire, and is suitable for all types of functions. Incorporating a large dance floor it is particularly well suited for wedding receptions and ceilidhs.
Live bands regularly play on stage for club organised dance nights which are open to non-members.
The committee room is also available to hire for smaller groups requiring a suitably private venue for their requirements, be it choir practice or bridge nights and the like.